Saturday, May 9, 2009

Day 26-"Abstract #1"

"Abstract #1"
20"x16" oil on canvas

My vegetable painting is not going well today, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to post my first abstract painting. It is actually the surface that I've been using to discard the painting I have scrapped off my canvas, adding a little bit of paint day by day. I did not have a design idea in mind, however I did consciously try to distribute the paint in what felt like a pleasing placement. I don't know if I am finished with this piece. I originally thought I might use it as a background for a collage, but I'm finding I kind of like it this way too.

I am often attracted to abstract art, but always felt I didn't have it "in me" to do myself, so have not attempted it. I've never taken any classes in abstract art, and I don't know what the principles of abstract art might be. However, in the last few months, some of our class assignments have been leading me more in this direction. First, with our collage project, I did my "Organic Coffee" piece. And then yesterday's collaborative piece is leaning toward abstraction.

Last year I started trailrunning. It was something I wanted to do for a long time, but thought I would never be able to do because of my age, my bones, aching knees, among other excuses. But, instead I decided that, since it was something I really wanted to do, I should at least give it my best effort before I totally wrote it off. I started slow, took it one day at a time, doing lots of cross-training to strengthen my weaknesses, and found that in fact I could do it. Last fall I ran the "short course" (six miles) in the "Soulstice Race," my first running race ever. This year I signed up for the "long course" (twelve miles). I'm not very fast, but at my age there's not very many women in my age class. But, more important, I get to experience the thrill of running mountain trails I had so long yearned to do.

So, I guess, I'm coming to truly believe the adage, that if you truly desire to do something, you shouldn't say you can't do it until you've really given it your best effort.


No comments:

Post a Comment