Monday, April 20, 2009

Day 6 & 7- "Organic Coffee


"Organic Coffee"
12"x9" oil/collage on panel

Sold 4/17/09



The last couple of days I've been painting a lot, but not getting my paintings where I want them to be. It's very frustrating, especially with the little one item vegetable paintings. It seems like I put as much time into them as I might with a large one. But I continue painting.

I decided to post this painting I sold last week. It was done for an assignment in my Friday painting workshop class. We were supposed to do a collage--something new to me. I decided to use a painting I had set aside for awhile. The coffee mug was already painted and I "collaged" it using torn up pieces of a coffee bean bag for the shadows and background. I really like it how it came together, and now have been thinking of new possibilities with collage. It's also a good reason to hang on to those paintings that just aren't working.
In the process of scrapping off paint on these little paintings that I'm working on, I've been scrapping a lot of paint off, so I've started transferring the paint to a canvas to establish a background for a collage. It's forming a nice textural surface and patterns of color that's interesting in itself. So, at least all this reworking of my paintings is going to good use. Sometimes our mishaps, lead to some exciting results. We'll see how it progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment