Friday, April 17, 2009

Day 4: Collaborative Painting


"Kathy & Carolyn's
Collaborative Painting"
16x12 in. oil on panel





Today is my Friday morning art class at Coconino Community College. So my daily paint today is done in class. This is an ongoing class that I have taken for four semesters now. Larisa Aukon is our teacher. Basically, it is an unstructured class, we each do our own work, guided by a few assignments. The best part about the class is the feedback we get from one another, teacher and student, about our work.
The past two weeks we had the assignment to do a painting collaboratively with a fellow student. Everyone was a little resistant to the assignment at first, but it turned out to be wonderful fun. This floral is the painting that Carolyn and I did. Last week I brought in a painting I started last spring and didn't get very far on and gave it to Carolyn to see if she could breathe some life into it. She paints very differently than I, with her more springlike palette and delicate touch. She painted on it awhile, then passed it back to me, then I gave it some of my touch and passed it back to her again. I think it's about finished now, and I love how it came out.
Today, she brought one to start on, I have it now and will show how it comes out next week. We will each have a joint painting signed by two people. Have you ever seen a dual signed painting?

No comments:

Post a Comment